Where is the best place to install a GE Security 260-CO carbon monoxide detector?
Last Updated: 12/03/2013
By Petra Paulson
1) Within 10 feet of all sleeping areas. One detector should be installed in every bedroom. The same goes for dorm rooms and hotel rooms.
2) Within an ambient temperature range of 40-100 degrees Fahrenheit (4.4 - 37.8 degrees Celsius). Anything colder or warmer can adversely affect sensor performance.
For commercial facilities...
1) One detector should be installed in the immediate vicinity of every sleeping area (such as hotel rooms, dorm rooms, etc.)
2) One detector should be installed on every floor of the property, even basements. Uninhabited attics and crawl spaces do not need detectors.
3) In the same room as fuel-burning appliances.
4) In all areas stipulated by building codes or local/state laws.
Do not install the 260-CO...
1) Less than 10 feet from a fuel-burning appliance.
2) Less than 5 feet from a cooking appliance.
3) Near a vent or air conditioner.
4) In a recessed location.
5) In an area where air flow could be obstructed by furniture or curtains.
Be sure to install the detector on a firm, permanent surface, preferably on a ceiling.
GE Security 260-CO w/ 250-CO-PLT Adapter Plate Kit